Certain foreign nationals who are in the United States may apply for employment authorization so that they can legally work in the country.

To request work authorization and an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), you must submit Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization to the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services. Some individuals who are already authorized to work in the U.S. based on their immigration status may still choose to file Form I-765 in order to have an EAD as proof of their work authorization.

Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Employers in the U.S. are required to make sure that all employees are authorized to work in the country. One way to show that you are authorized to be employed in the U.S. is to have an Employment Authorization Document, or EAD.

Lawful permanent residents do not need to apply for an EAD; a Green Card is evidence of your authorization to work. If you are not a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident, however, in most cases you need to apply for an EAD to receive proof of your work authorization.

An application for an EAD will be necessary if one of the following applies to you:

  • Your immigration status gives you authorization to work in the United States but you do not have evidence of this work authorization. For example, you are a refugee or U nonimmigrant.
  • You do not currently have work authorization and need to request it in order to work. For example, you have a pending adjustment of status or asylum application but have not yet been granted either of these statuses; or you have a certain nonimmigrant status in the U.S. allows you to be in the country but does not allow you to work without seeking authorization.

You do not need to apply for employment authorization if you are the holder of a nonimmigrant visa that is allowing you to work for a specific employer, such as an H-1B, L-1B, O or P visa.

Other Benefits of Work Authorization

A benefit of obtaining work authorization is that it will provide you with a social security number. Requirements vary state to state, it is generally required that you have a social security number to obtain a driver’s license. This is a requirement in the state of Tennessee. Even if you are not eligible for a green card, you may qualify for work authorization, which will not only allow you to reside and work in the U.S. but it can also provide a way for you to obtain a driver’s license.

How We Can Help

If you are seeking work authorization or evidence of your authorization, Youngblood & Associates can guide and represent you throughout the process of applying for an Employment Authorization Document. We will assess your case to determine if you are eligible to apply for an EAD and will use our knowledge and creativity to assist you in obtaining your authorization to work. For more information about eligibility and the application process, contact our office and schedule a free consultation!

Not sure what you need?

Call our office today at 931-274-7811 to schedule your consultation or complete a service inquiry form to get your process started today.

Service Inquiry Form