A visitor visa may be granted to those who are traveling to the United States temporarily for business or for pleasure, tourism, or medical treatment.

You may apply for a B-1 visa if you will be participating in business activities of a commercial or professional nature. You may apply for a B-2 visa if you will be visiting the U.S. for a social visit, tourism, certain medical treatments, or participation in activities such as music or an amateur sporting event.

B-1 Temporary Business Visitor

Business activities that may qualify you for the B-1 visa include:

  • Consulting with associates
  • Settling an estate
  • Traveling for a conference
  • Traveling for a convention of business, scientific, educational, or professional nature
  • Negotiating contracts
  • Attending training
  • Deadheading in the U.S. as part of an aircrew

You may be granted a period of up to 6 months for your initial stay, though an extension of stay is available. The maximum length of time you may stay in the United States is one year.

If you are a B-1 visa holder, your immediate family members are not eligible for dependent visas. If your spouse or children will be accompanying you or following to join you in the U.S., they must each apply for a B-2 visitor visa and meet all requirements for that visa.

B-2 Visa for Tourism

Activities that fall under the B-2 visa category include:

  • Vacation or holiday
  • Tourism
  • Visiting friends or family
  • Medical treatment
  • Attending a social event being hosted by a service, social, or fraternal organization
  • Participating in musical or sports events, if considered an amateur and not being paid
  • Participating in a short recreational study course, such as a cooking class or horseback-riding lessons


You may be eligible to apply for a B-1/B-2 visa if:

  • You have strong nonimmigrant intent in the U.S. which you can demonstrate by your binding ties abroad, such as family and employment
  • You have a residence outside of the U.S.
  • You can prove that you plan to remain in the U.S. only for a specific amount of time
  • You have the financial ability to cover the expenses of your travel and your stay in the U.S., without U.S. employment

Applying for a Visitor Visa

To apply for a visitor visa, you must first complete an online visa application and upload your photo. An interview will most likely be required at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you reside. Keep in mind that application instructions and methods may vary by U.S. Embassy or Consulate, so it is important to check the application process that applies to you.

How We Can Help

Youngblood & Associates can assist you in determining your eligibility to apply for either a B-1 or B-2 visa, assist you in applying for a B-1/B-2 visa and securing an appointment at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and advise and represent you if you are seeking a change or extension of status and are already in the U.S. on a B-1/B-2 visa.

Not sure what you need?

Call our office today at 931-274-7811 to schedule your consultation or complete a service inquiry form to get your process started today.

Service Inquiry Form