The U nonimmigrant status (U visa) is a visa for victims of certain criminal activity who have suffered mental or physical abuse due to the crime and give help to government officials and law enforcement agencies in their investigation and prosecution.


You may be eligible to apply for a U nonimmigrant visa if:

  • You are the victim of qualifying criminal activity
  • You have experienced considerable mental or physical abuse due to the crime
  • You possess information about the crime
  • You are helpful to law enforcement in the investigation and/or prosecution of the crime
  • The criminal activity took place in the United States or violated U.S. laws
  • You are admissible to the United States

U nonimmigrant status is valid for four years, though extensions are available in certain circumstances.

How to Apply

A petition for U nonimmigrant status requires the submission of the following:

  • Form I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status
  • Form I-918, Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification. This is a form that must be signed by an authorized official confirming that you were, are, or are likely to be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of a criminal case.
  • A personal statement that describes the crime of which you were a victim
  • Evidence that proves each eligibility requirement
  • If you have issues of inadmissibility, you must file Form I-192, Application for Advance Permission to Enter as Nonimmigrant, so that you then can request to waive the inadmissibility grounds.

Applications for U nonimmigrant status are free, and fee waivers are available to you for any additional forms that are necessary to complete your petition.

Filing for Qualifying Family Members

Certain family members of the individual filing for the U visa may be eligible for a “derivative U visa” based on their relationship to the principal petitioner. Which family members qualify for this visa depends on the age of the petitioner. Regardless, no family members will be eligible for the derivative U visa until your U visa petition has been approved.

If you are the principal petitioner and you are under 21 years of age, you may petition on behalf of:

  • Your spouse
  • Your children
  • Your parents
  • Your unmarried siblings (under 18 years of age)

If you are the principal petitioner and you are over 21 years of age, you may petition on behalf of:

  • Your spouse
  • Your children

Applying for a Green Card

If under U nonimmigrant status, you have continuously been in the United States for at least three years and you have continued to be helpful to law enforcement since receiving your U visa, you may be eligible to apply for a Green Card. You must meet certain other eligibility requirements for permanent residence. Consult with an immigration attorney to determine if you are eligible to apply.

How We Can Help

Youngblood & Associates will help to determine if you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for a U visa then assist you in all aspects of filing your application: securing the necessary information from the police, investigators, and prosecutors; gathering necessary evidence; and providing other supplemental information and documents. If you have U nonimmigrant status and would like to apply for permanent residence, our experienced legal team will offer excellent guidance and representation throughout the entire process.

Not sure what you need?

Call our office today at 931-274-7811 to schedule your consultation or complete a service inquiry form to get your process started today.

Service Inquiry Form