Advance parole is a type of travel document issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services that allows you to travel outside of and back into the United States without applying for a visa to re-enter the country. While advance parole does not replace a passport, airlines and other transportation companies will accept an advance parole document instead of a visa as proof of your authorization to travel to the country.

Advance parole makes it possible to leave the United States while in the middle of certain immigration application process, but you must be very careful to correctly obtain your advance parole document in order to prevent facing issues upon returning to the country. The information below includes an overview of the advance parole application and things to keep in mind as you consider moving forward.

Why Advance Parole?

You may consider applying for advance parole if:

  • You have a pending Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status (Form I-485)
  • You have a pending Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal

If you are a refugee or asylee and are in the process of applying for an immigrant visa or if you are an individual in the process of adjusting status, it is very important that you apply for and receive an advance parole document prior to traveling outside of the United States. If you leave the country without obtaining advance parole, USCIS will likely deny your case or assume you have abandoned your application. You may be found inadmissible to the United States upon your attempt to return.

Additionally, you must make sure that your advance parole document is valid for the entire period of time that you are outside of the United States. If you are out of the country for a longer period of time than your document covers, USCIS will consider your application abandoned.

Even with an approved and valid advance parole, it is important to discuss with your attorney the potential difficulties you may encounter while seeking reentry into the United States.

Take Note

Applying for advance parole on behalf of someone who is outside of the U.S. but has an urgent humanitarian need is an option, as well. If this situation applies to you, consult with an immigration attorney for assistance in applying.

You are required to submit evidence with your advance parole application. The required evidence depends on your status and on what you are applying for. Make sure to consult with your attorney to ensure that you are submitting correct and sufficient evidence.

If you submit documents along with your application that are written in a foreign language, they must be translated to English by a translator. The translator must certify that the translation is accurate and that they are qualified to perform the translation.

How We Can Help

Youngblood & Associates can help you determine if advance parole is the best option for your situation; guide and represent you through the application process; and advise you on best travel practices should you receive advance parole, in order to ensure that you are allowed re-entry into the United States.

Not sure what you need?

Call our office today at 931-274-7811 to schedule your consultation or complete a service inquiry form to get your process started today.

Service Inquiry Form